One part of me just SCREAMS excitement for going back to university, the other longs to stay home and relax – but as I said before, university calls. I’ll miss my summer sleeping schedule, it was just so relaxing. I don’t even know how I handled the lack of adequate sleep thing last year. I’ll admit that in first term I was QUITE disciplined, then it just went COMPLETELY downhill in term two. I should probably have some self-discipline this year with that….or else I might lose my sanity, implying that I have some sanity left in me after first year. I’m pretty excited to meet my new roommates, hopefully they’re cool, ‘cuz I like cool people. Cool people and I, we’re just cool, you know? Now that I’ve overused, misused, and abused the word ‘cool’, let’s move on. I have actually started to make progress with packing, didn’t think I would, but I surprised myself. Go me. The forecast predicts that the weather is supposed to be warm and sunny, which is so exciting to hear! 😀
The music video for Taylor Swift’s new song ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’ came out yesterday, almost every website I looked at had it blocked for my region, which was pretty lame, but I eventually ended up finding one that worked. The video was taken in one take, so it’s quite simple looking, but it’s not TOO bad. They definitely could have done something more with it, but they didn’t, it’s okay. It definitely is “different” just like the song. There’s just something about the video that just makes you like it, just like the song.
I’m still procrastinating with packing.. I feel like I need a couple days to THINK about packing, and to think about how I SHOULD be packing, and then after that I need a day or two to figure out WHAT exactly to pack, and the days go on and no packing gets done. :S OOPS. It’ll get done when the time comes, I managed last year, didn’t I? 😛 But I swear, every time I come up to my room with the intention of getting SOME packing done, I always somehow manage to get distracted….my bad. These past few days have been rather stressful trying to figure out last minute things and it’s just hard to stay organized with so much going on; my mind is completely scattered. I wasn’t totally set on selling my textbooks from last year, but then on a limb I decided I might as well, may as well get some money for it(to help pay for this year’s texts, right?). I’m selling 4 of my textbooks from last year, this term, and to 4 different people…so I have to set aside time to meet up with those 4 people at some point during first week. Then I’m also buying two books from two other people during the first week, one which is off campus…major time crunch. I actually probably wouldn’t have bothered with the off campus one…but considering the fact that the original price of the text is somewhere around $200….I’m getting it for a really decent price, and it’s one of those textbooks that isn’t very common among people that are selling texts.
ANYWHO, I’m stoked to get back to UBC, although my mind will still be in “summer mode” for most of September…as long as it returns to “university mode” by the time midterms start, it’s all good. 🙂
It blows my mind as to how fast summer can go by. I am moving back to UBC in 4 days….and then before I know it, it will be April, and second year will be done. Time flies so fast. This year will be amazing, I just know it. I will miss being a first year, but now I’m a second year, so now I know my sh*t and stuff… ha-ha. I really don’t. I can’t wait to meet new people, experience new things, and conquer another academic year! 😀 The part that sucks is packing..I don’t like packing, mainly why I procrastinate and leave it to the last minute, but usually that means I’ll probably end up forgetting something that is rather important. Along with packing comes doing loads of laundry, since I like to keep doing laundry to a minimum when I’m AT university(don’t worry, I still do my laundry when I need to), it’s such a pain, so whenever I come home, I do tons of laundry. I should probably make an actual list of things that I want to bring to university, since everything that I think I need is basically scattered all around my room. My room becomes such a mess whenever I need to pack for something. And then figuring out what clothes to bring is also a pain because of Vancouver and it’s bipolar weather. SO glad that I can come home on weekends if I need something, perks of living somewhat close to Vancouver.
…is it that when you finally get what you want, after what seems like FOREVER, you’re just not satisfied with it.
This could potentially seem like a very negative post….but sometimes it’s just nice to let it all out ‘cuz it’s almost guaranteed that there are other people that feel the same way as you. I had originally intended on just having 10….but I got a little carried away and doubled it, then added one more to make 21 pet peeves. So, here it goes:
- Spiders, I can’t stand to see them crawling about. I actually didn’t have a problem with spiders until about 3 years ago, not entirely sure what spawned that on, but who cares, I don’t like them.
- People that smack their gum…THIS GETS ON MY NERVE. If you’re going to chew gum do you honestly need to make it that obvious? All I’ll get out of it is that you’re proudly showing off the fact that you need to chew gum because your breath smells bad (hahaha..just kidding). But really, just don’t smack your gum.
- Girls that outwardly say that they are “easy”… seriously, have some self respect. If you want people to respect you, you need to respect yourself first.
- People that start to tell you something and then say ‘nevermind’. I personally am guilty of this sometimes, but I know what it’s like to be on the other side. PLUS, I usually end up saying it anyway, so it’s not like I’m being a hypocrite.
- People that use people.
- People that think that they’re the sh*t and purposely try to downgrade others around them. Why must people make others feel bad in order to make themselves look good? It’s pointless, rude, and unnecessary.
- When you’re making plans for something in the near future and somehow end up as the mediator of communication between people and then having to wait AGES to hear back from the others.
- Cyber-bullying – there is absolutely no need to put people down in public. Well really, there shouldn’t be a need to put people down anywhere, anytime. If people minded their own business, we would be living in a happier world.
- People that go out of their way to brag about their exceedingly high marks after they’ve been constantly complaining about how “badly” they’re doing in the class. Don’t get me wrong, I am all up for commending people for their efforts and achievements, but it’s just annoying to find out that doing “badly” in a university class for some, is getting a mark in the low 90s. Are you TRYING to make yourself feel better? Have some confidence in yourself!
- Guys that constantly go on and on about how much they can drink. Geez, girls love knowing how badly you’re screwing up your liver, SUCH a turn on. NOT. Is there NOTHING else you can talk about?
- Middle school relationships – do what you want to do, but 99% of the time, it won’t mean very much later on. Soooo don’t get too hung up on the fact that some girl/guy “broke your heart” when you’re 13. You need to be a LIIITTTLE older to know what “love” is. I’m 19, and I don’t think I even know what it is yet.
- Going clubbing? Wearing a short dress with lots of cleavage? Well then, why don’t you pose with the others and take a photo where you look all “sexy” pushing out your boobs. Please ladies, keep the boobs inside the dress please, at least for the photo.
- Hypocrites. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH! Enough said.
- Girls that complain that they’re going to “get fat” after eating a slice of pizza, and then go on about how they’re going to have to work out for half of the next day to burn it off. Kudos for caring about your health but live a little; a little grease every once in a while ISN’T going to kill you.
- Guys that initiate conversation with you and on multiple, consecutive occasions, tell you that they’re sore because they worked out…..TOO MUCH that day. Once again, kudos for taking care of your body, but honestly, do you not do anything else? Relax for a while.
- People that overuse “Lol” – please, just don’t say anything at all if you need to use “Lol” as a conversation filler.
- People that freak out if you touch their phone but help themselves to your phone. Yeah, okay, feel free to invade MY “privacy”, but go all piranha on me if I try and “invade” yours.
- Wearing UGGS in the Summer when it’s 30 degrees. NOT COOL. I feel heatstroke creeping up on me when I see that.
- People that are immature in a serious situation. It isn’t always fun and games, you need to learn to be serious when the time comes.
- When girls wear dresses and heels and look extremely uncomfortable wearing them. Sorry, not attractive.
- Guys that talk about how many girls they’ve “screwed”. Do you THINK us girls care, let alone, WANT to know? ‘Cuz I know that I really don’t.
There’s just a week left of Summer. Who knew four months of vacation could go by as fast as it did? Not me, that’s for sure. I don’t know how I feel about going back to university in a week. I’m excited to see my friends that I haven’t seen in FOREVER, but at the same time, I like being at home, it’s relaxing. I think I’ve just become too accustomed to living at home and I just want to stay here now – but university calls, so I have to go to get all edumecated, so that I don’t end up as a total failure(disclaimer: not saying that if you don’t go to university, you’ll end up as a failure).
We were driving today and a sign on the side of the road caught my eye. The sign said “Lemonade” with an arrow pointing towards a house on the side of the road. There was a lemonade stand set up by a bunch of little kids, and they were selling lemonade. This sight actually made me smile; having a lemonade stand was a childhood dream of mine. I thought these kids were adorable, after all, it was like 27 degrees out. I could only hope they made a little cash with their little lemonade stand.
I CANNOT believe that summer is almost over. I’m not sure why but the last two weeks of summer are always my favourite part of summer, there’s so much anticipation, excitement, feeling of starting “fresh”/new beginnings, and the sun starts setting early. Don’t get me wrong though, I absolutely love summer and long days.
ANYWAY, the weather has started to cool down, which I am really liking because I can’t wait for it to be Fall. 😀 It’s quite overcast right now, and if you’ve kept up with my older posts, you know that I kind of like cloudy weather sometimes…I put on some music and it brings out my emotions. I was on YouTube and I think I was looking at a cover of Taylor Swift’s new song when on the side there was an older Taylor Swift video..and I had completely forgotten about the existence of this song, but it was her song A Place In This World. This made my mind overflow with memories from grade 10/11. I used to really LOVE that song; the song’s about a girl that feels like she’s alone in the world, but she’s strong and she knows she can take on the world – I can’t say I actually felt ALONE, but for some reason, it felt like I could really relate to it back then. Sooo yeah, I just had one of those moments when you hear a song and your mind just travels into the past, and it makes you realize how much has actually changed in your life. Listening to that song, made me think of ANOTHER piece of music, maybe you’ve heard of it? River Flows In You by Yiruma. That piece is INCREDIBLY beautiful, and breathtakingly written. I enjoyed playing it on the piano back in high school…you could put so much emotion into it while playing, and that’s saying a lot from me since I don’t really like playing “classical”-ish stuff. So there you go, my mini trip down memory lane. 🙂
Well, time for a contemplative/reflective post….music, ON. Sometimes I think I should just ‘Private’ these posts, but whatever, I don’t really care… too much. There’s not much time left until school starts, summer 2012 has been good to me. It’ll be great to see faces from last year, and by faces, I mean my friends. I still can’t quite comprehend the fact that I’m going into second year, that’s too weird for me to completely ingest all at once. Who knows, maybe by December it’ll hit me. 😛 One thing that HAS hit me is the fact that I’m in university, and university is a VERY short period of time(unless you extend your degree of course). In that short period of time, you meet people that will probably change your life…to an extent. University, you’re supposed to have the best 4-5 years of your life, and meet some amazing people. A lot happens in that short period of time, especially with academics/career related things and friendships. Opportunities come up for everyone, in many different ways. You’ll meet people, those people may stay or go, depending on what opportunities come their way. I have never been one that has easily accepted the change of friends leaving, I’ve just always been that way. It takes a lot of time for me to adjust to that, and fully accept the change. When you’re so used to someone being there, and then all of a sudden, they’re like halfway across the world from you, and you don’t even know when you’ll be able to see them again…it’s a feeling that sucks. Maybe I find it difficult to handle because I tend to ignore it at first and downplay it, until I realize that isn’t going to change anything. Sometimes I think that if I think about something hard enough and want something enough, it’ll happen….but obviously that’s not the case. Appreciate the people you meet and have around you,cherish the moments you have together, ‘cuz they won’t always be beside you. I know that this year when I go back to UBC, I’will definitely be missing a good friend. It really kind of sucks that he was here for only a year, but life gave him opportunity, and it’s for the best, and as I’ve said before in a post regarding this – I am super happy for him as he’s on the road to success. They say friends come and go in your life for a reason, and I’m glad he came into mine, and wish he could have stuck around for longer. I know that there’s nothing ‘ending’ the friendship, as we’re still friends, but it’s just not the same when the person isn’t physically “beside” you when you want them to be. I suppose it’s something that will be hard to deal with, but with time, I’ll learn to cope with it. ❤
Classes start soon….just over 2 weeks, crazy! Jumpstart at UBC has just started and lots of freshmen have arrived in the city/on campus! I remember last year when my friend and I were just over the top excited to start at UBC, and trust me, the first year experience definitely lived up to the expectation of the excitement!
So anyway, school supplies…school supply shopping was probably my favourite aspect of back to school shopping, mainly since I didn’t really shop for a whole new extravagant wardrobe for school since my school had uniforms(they really don’t suck that much). I was looking through flyers the other day and saw all the new supplies for school, on sale. :”) So what exactly do university students need for supplies? I’ll tell you what I used last year, I found that everything I had bought definitely came to good use:
- A laptop…is almost a must for university, it is a pain to have to use a computer at the library or something when you need to use it…sooo yeah.
- Printers – definitely a good idea and CONVENIENT to have your own printer, when you have a 15 page paper to print out, last minute on the night before it’s due…you don’t want to run to the library for this.
- Pens and pencils and erasers – basic writing utensils + something to put them in, like a pencil case. You don’t want to ask to borrow these during class or during your midterm. I remember in first term, for my Psych midterm, someone asked me for a pencil, and I didn’t want to say no..so I obviously gave them a pencil. Well, I finished my midterm before her….and needed to get to my next class…never saw her, or my pencil ever again. But it was okay, I gave her a crappy pencil anyway(it worked and everything, but I never really liked it).
- Notebooks…basically had one for every class. EXTREMELY useful for taking notes and such and lightweight to carry around with you. I am a pen and paper kind of person so I don’t really like to use my laptop for note taking in class…plus some courses don’t allow laptop usage in class. Biology 112 and Chemistry 121, you weren’t allowed to use laptops in class, I forget what the rules for Chem 123 were though….but for Chem I find it more practical and convenient to just use pen and paper. Although, I did find taking notes on my laptop VERY useful for English 110..my prof talked A LOT, and of course I can type MUCH faster than I can write.
- Ruler – for drawing straight lines and stuff….plus you need them for graphing and things like that in some classes.
- Binders – good for storage + some courses require Powerpoint slide print outs (like Bio 112).
- Lined/blank paper/graph paper — to like, write on and stuff.. 😛
- Calculator – some courses do require you to use a certain type of calculator for quizzes/exams – you’ll be informed if that’s the case.
- Stapler – I thought it was good to have around
- Hole puncher – my floormates in residence used it WAAAAAY more than me…still useful, I guess.
- Duotangs – I mainly used pocket folders in first term to stick handouts in. I didn’t do this, but some people use duotangs with paper for taking notes in class.
- Clipboard – lots of people find it really convenient to use a clipboard with paper for note taking in class, and then just transfer your paper into a binder or something after class.
- Backpack – well yeah, obviously
- USB – useful.
- Planner/Agenda – MOST USEFUL THING TO USE. You could also use a calendar or something on your computer, but I like to have everything in writing, I find it works better for me, it’s just how I am.
- Textbooks…you don’t need to be carrying around textbooks to most classes.
- Chem students…need a labcoat + safety goggles…these can be purchased at the bookstore/labcoats are available at the Chem building…but you’ll be given more details about that through email or something.