VANIER + TOTEM
WHAT YOUR ROOM COMES WITH:
So it’s pretty basic what you get in your room…
- bed -XL twin size mattress pad + pillow (XL twin size – dimensions of mattress =39″ wide x 80″ long) …and it’d PROBABLY be ‘nicer’ to buy your own pillow, just for comforts sake, but you don’t HAVE to. Personally, I’d rather just bring my own pillow, but it’s really up to your own personal preference.
- chair ….maybe bring a throw or cushion or something to make your chair more ‘comfortable’ ? haha
- bookshelf (not very BIG)
- a lamp
- there is internet in dorms, but it’s not wi-fi, so you’d need to bring an ethernet cord.
- one phone outlet, so if you really wanted to, you could have a landline in your room….but cell phones are much more practical.
- a trashcan
WHERE TO BUY STUFF FOR YOUR ROOM:
IKEA- http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/ – reasonable prices, and there is an IKEA trip from UBC on Monday, September 5th.
BED BATH & BEYOND – http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/default.asp? – they sell XL twin size linens!!! And they have a pretty good selection of other dorm decorating things…and everything you need for university.
FUTURESHOP/BEST BUY/COSTCO/STAPLES – these are all places that sell electronic appliances(as well as other things).
THINGS THAT I WILL BE BRINGING FOR MY ROOM:
- Linens + Pillow(s) (duuuh)
- Storage boxes….you have to try to MAXIMIZE the small bit of space you get, so any type of storage equipment is a MUST
- Slim hangers + other closet organization things
- Mini fridge
- Whiteboard/Corkboard (probably won’t be able to hang it up….but we’ll see)
- Printer (having your own personal printer is a REEEEAALLLYYYY good idea) …and if you have a roommate…you have the option of sharing one….if your roommate helps with the costs (ink + paper)
- iPod speakers
- Alarm Clock
- Powerbar( there are about 7-8 outlets per room…so it’d be a good idea to just bring a powerbar as an extra)
- Extension cord
- Ethernet cord
- Wall decor things (don’t want my room to look too dreary or drab)
- Laundry bag/hamper
….and I think that’s it for now…..I’m still in the process of making my list though…but those are a few of the things to give you an idea. 🙂 (knowing me I probably forgot to mention something ‘important’ hahaha)
Also, a suggestion, wait until you actually SEE your room IN PERSON, before you go out and buy super extravagant things. 😛 One thing you really want to avoid is a cluttered up room. And for those of you who have not for some reason or another been able to get in contact with your roommate….be careful of having too much stuff between the two of you…so really, just wait, if you can. And for those of you who have singles….if you clutter up your room with too much stuff, then it’s your own mess to deal with. 😀